Tuesday, August 12, 2008

My First Hairbow Gig!

Saturday Market is held in downtown Augusta, GA, at 8th Street and the River (Savannah River). August 9, 2008 was Kids Day, so I took this as my opportunity to setup my booth and sell some hairbows!

Of course, if you know my husband and I you know that there is an adventure with every outing that we attempt, and this Saturday was no exception. So Friday evening, I was supposed to have everything packed up and broken down, so that when my husband arrived home from work we could discuss whether I had overlooked anything or whatever.... Well, he got home and I was still making bows... and realized just before he arrived that I hadn't even eaten dinner yet--it was now about 9 pm.

So, he talked me into getting out for a moment and grabbing a bite to eat. We went through the Arby's drive-through and ate at home. We then decided to watch a bit of tv (like this was a smart idea!). So at about 10:15 pm, we decided to pack up the booth. Boy, we had that thing packed up in no time!

We talked about what time would be adequate time for us to get ready the next morning, and since the Saturday Market officially opens at 8 am, we decided that we would need to get up at 4:30 am so that we would have plenty of time to load the truck and get out there to setup. My husband set his alarm for 4:30. Well, I took a shower before bed and finally got into bed at midnight (and didn't sleep well all night... nervous I guess...).

Well.... I woke up and felt like I had gotten more than 4.5 hours of sleep... I rolled over and looked at my clock... it was 5:55 am! I started yelling and we hit the ground running! I just knew that there would be no way for us to make it out in time to setup the booth before 8 am. (We later realized that he set his alarm for 4:30 pm.... nice, hunh?)

We were speedily getting ready and loading the truck. Believe it or not, but I dried and straightened my hair and finished getting ready in 20 minutes! We arrived downtown at about 6:45 am, setup the booth, and priced most all of the items by 8 am. We had done it... and then we waited.



And we waited. It was somewhat of a slow go, but traffic picked up and soon we had covered the cost of the booth for day. And soon we were seeing a profit! The market hours were from 8 am to 12 pm. We started packing up the booth at around 1 pm because there were still people out and about.

I am so happy that my first hairbow gig was a success. I want to say thank you to all of my customers. Thank you for your encouragement and support.

♥Bows

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your sucessful gig! I cannot wait until I have an opportunity to do something like that here in Texas! I recently started selling bows on the side for fun and I really love it! Any advice for getting things organized? I also need a display rack like you have.. what are they called and where can i get one? Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete